Friday, January 23, 2009

And you thought YOUR day was bad...

Well, the day started out ok. I went to my aerobics class at 5:30 and then headed to Macy's for some AWESOME deals. It always makes me happy to leave with a ton of stuff and not pay very much for it! :) Bry woke up early but that was ok. Maddie slept in but by 9:30 I was stir crazy. It's a miserable looking day outside and the roads are icy so I didn't really want to go out but I needed some form of entertainment. Boy was I in for some GREAT entertainment... So, I wanted to make cinnamon rolls but didn't want to eat ALL of them so I called a friend and she was busy. Because that fell thru I took it as a sign that I needed to just stay home and play with Bry. Maddie was napping by this point and I could tell Bry was going stir crazy too (only THREE more months of inside weather!!) So we came downstairs and I started building a road out of domino's for all of his cars. As I was moving around I realized that there was a wet spot in the carpet. I thought that maybe Bry had done some business without telling me, but then thought better of it and checked our crawl space... DUN, DUN, DUN (Cue awful, scary music) We had a FLOOD!! YUCK!! I quickly assessed the damage and decided that I need my cute hubby. He came in about 5 minutes (the advantages of him working SO close to home!) and we moved everything out of the back half of our crawl space. Ty realized that problem and quickly went outside. Because of the freezing rain the last couple of days he realized that where the drain is had frozen over and then started leaking into the crawl space. Maybe it's been going on longer than a couple of days because there was a LOT of water in there, but that was the problem. So, We pulled everything out... luckily most of the stuff is in rubber totes. One thing that did get ruined (much to my happiness) was a BIG box of Sports Illustrated magazines from like 10 years ago!! YEAH, IT'S TRUE! Ty is such a pack rat and won't let me throw all kinds of meaningless stuff away, but that box went straight to the garbage! YEAH! :) So, one good thing about all this is that we are storing one less box of STUFF! :) Anyway, there is still quite a bit of water underneath my carpet. I keep using all of my towels to get up all the water and then I wash them all and do it again. I'm on my 3rd load! We have fans going in our family room and in the crawl space so hopefully this will all be over soon. But, here's some pics of our lovely afternoon. The big hole is where all the water was and where all the stuff was so neatly organized. All the disorganized stuff is just to show you how much CRAP we actually have! :) And can I just add... Maddie happily played with domino's for over an hour while we cleaned! I have the best kids EVER!



Yeah, all of THAT was water!

Here's some of our stuff... with a great shot of my food storage! I'm so glad we finally got all the shelves. If anything happened to all my food storage stuff I'd be OH so mad! :)

Just more of our stuff piled up high!

8 comments:

Brown said...

Tiff- Sorry to hear about the Flood. Tyler is a good guy I think this week Ben would have told me to have fun with the situation! Also jealous that you got to throw away a box of Tyler's S.I's Ben has a few of those boxes and they drive me crazy!:)

Anonymous said...

Oh no!! Not fun. Glad you were home to notice it instead of making cinnamon rolls :>!

Ang

Heather said...

Yuck! I'm sorry it was such a rough day. Glad you caught it sooner than later.

Barbi Mecham said...

Okay, that definitely can be classified as a crappy day! So sorry. I am glad you were able to get rid of that box ~ I can sympathize with that because my husband is also a pack rat! Hopefully tomorrow is a better day!!! love ya

Jennie said...

that is no fun! so glad you caught it so quickly!

Kindred Family said...

That stinks Tiff, so sorry!

Lyman Family said...

My husband is a pack rat too. "We may need that someday!" is a phrase I hear often. I'm totally sorry about the flood, but also totally impressed that you go to aerobics at 5:30 in the morning! Good heavens, how admirable!

Hamblin Family said...

WOW that SUCKS!! I am sorry that you had a flood but I am happy that you got rid of those magazines we have some stuff like that in our crawl space too. I think that I am going to go check my crawl space and see if we had the same problem.