Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Success Story #1...

And hopefully more to come!! :)

So, we started potty training last week.

DAY 1: Bry must have and iron bladder because the first day he didn't pee from 8:30 AM til 3:30 PM! All thru the nap and EVERYTHING! It was insane. We sat on the potty every half hour and read books, sung songs... the whole works. So, by the end of the first day he'd gone 2 tiny tiny bits in his underwear. It was time to go to bed and I sat him on the potty ONE MORE TIME. He still wouldn't go so I thought of a BRILLIANT idea. You can all use this in the future! :) I let him dip his hand in some cold water! Don't you ever remember those crazy sleepovers where someone wets the bed because they had the audacity to fall asleep first so she got her hand stuck in cold water and her bra frozen?? I, of course, NEVER attended said sleepover parties... but I just HEARD about them. :) So, I tried it and he actually WENT! Balloons, streamers, party hats, treats... we did it ALL! Ok. So, we didn't actually do that... but we celebrated! :)

DAY 2: So, day two came around and he wet his pants once and then held it the rest of the day. Didn't go in the potty once.

DAY 3: The next morning he woke up and was saying how badly his tummy hurt and kept saying poopy. Bry is a regular kind of a guy. He poops 2-3 times a day. So to go 2 days without going must have been horrible for him. So, compassion came over me and I put him in a diaper. He screamed and cried but finally was able to poop. Sad story, I know. I just couldn't put him back in underwear after that one and it's a good thing I didn't because he pooped 3, yes 3, more times that day.

DAY 4: We had a dentist appointment which was a TREAT let me tell you, and I decided that we'd had enough drama for the day... so diapers it was.

DAY 5: I had a meeting in the morning and didn't really want to clean up pee from someone else's floor... diapers again.

DAY 6: This is today, by the way. After getting much criticism and chastisement from Ty about how WE have to keep up the potty training and WE need to not slack off (I know, WE! He's not home ALL day long and so WE don't really do ANYTHING!!) So, I put him in underwear today. We sat on the potty every 45 minutes and he didn't ever go. He hated it, by they way. Crying and all that jazz. I didn't want this to become awful so I was just about to put him in diapers and SCRAP the entire thing. But, right before lunch, he was holding himself and I knew he was going to go in his pants and he said to me, potty Mama. He runs into the bathroom and GOES POTTY!!! It's true. All by himself and everything. So, I am feeling quite good about myself. We called both Grandmas and Daddy and Bry got chips and candy and the whole 9 yards! I then made lunch and discovered that he had pooped in his pants. So, after deep breaths, I decided that we're taking BABY STEPS. He peed once and that's good enough for me!

11 comments:

The Polka Dot Apron said...

wow, I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to THAT! Sounds like you are doing great! Keep up the good work, mommy, and good luck this weekend!! :)

Carly Nichols said...

You're such a good and patient mom:) I'm a little nervous for when it's Sam's time but I won't fret bc I still have time:) By the way...I'll definitely be asking you for advice:)

weloveadoption said...

Looks like I have something to look forward to. Keep up the good work trying to get him potty trained.

Jennie said...

that has GOT to be tough on all of you! good luck!

Bob and Marie said...

Ohhh...potty training. I don't even want to remember the days. We had a hard time with Joshua, not as hard with Sarah. It's so funny...you can try and try and try and think it will never happen and then it happens and pretty soon you wonder how you ever made it with them in diapers. Good luck and hang in there! I don't envy you. He'll get it soon enough.

Carolyn said...

Sounds like a good start to potty training. The whole poop situation was hard for Avery. So we just found something that she liked to do which was watching a movie after nap time so if she went poop in the potty and not her pants then she got to watch the movie but if she went in her pants then no movie. It worked from the get go. She still tells me as she is pooping "yes now I get to watch a movie" . If you need any other ideas just ask. Trust me it isn't fun but once they are potty trained it is so much better.

Deirdra said...

It's such a challenge. He'll get it down, I think he's off to a great start. I love the talk of WE, isn't that so true :) Good work.

Natalie said...

So when you say "Scrap the whole thing" That doesn't actually mean that you are going to "Scrapbook" the whole thing...right? ;)

Barbi Mecham said...

Oh I am so thrilled to only have 1 more to potty train. It is such a pain in the bum! Good luck to you. I must say, my kids always have had a harder time with the poop thing.

Cara said...

Oh Tiff, I'm so sorry! I need to post an addendum to my own potty training posting, I think I made it sound easier than it was! Marin still is trying to get the whole pooping thing down-- she's gone twice in the potty now and did the same thing as Bry-- held it for like 4 days because she didn't want to go on the toilet! Mitch kept telling me the same thing as Tyler a few months ago and I knew she wasn't quite ready, so I kept waiting until I knew she was ready and then I had a lot less messes to clean up! Hang in there!

Dennison Family said...

Good luck! you are right, potty training is not fun, and definately wasn't a WE thing around my house. I promise, girls are MUCH easier. Payton really had no interest, until our pediatrician told him he was a big boy and wasn't allowed to wear diapers anymore! Within 2 days he was trained! And that was after me trying for 2 months! It was crazy! good luck, you both can do it!!