Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I've had my blood drawn dozens of times. Really. Not so much when I was younger but when we were trying to get pregnant I'd pee on the stick and then not believe the stupid stick that said yet again I wasn't pregnant so I'd go to the hospital and get a blood test. Then, as time went on I stopped peeing on the stick altogether and just went straight to the hospital. Did that almost every month for 2 years. Fast forward to the last 4 months. I've been having some major stomach issues. Lots of pain and discomfort. I've had my blood drawn 3 or 4 times in the last couples of months so the docs can figure out the problems. Even ran a pregnancy test. Twice. After 3 doctors, blood work, 2 ultra sounds and a CT scan they've finally figured out that YES there is a problem. I've got a cyst on my ovary that's grown to the size of a grapefruit. Really. 10 cm big! So, I have to get surgery next week. Anyway. I had a pre-op apt. yesterday and had to get... MORE blood drawn. Becuase I've had this done so many times I wasn't worried at all. I just have to turn my head so I don't see the needle and I'm fine with the little prick. So, I as I'm sitting in the chair I was just chatting away with the nice nurse, not kowing that she was really THE DEVIL. Honestly, nothing could have prepaired me for the pain that she'd bestow on me. I turned my head as we were talking and said that I couldn't watch but I knew it wouldn't hurt and then HOLY CRAP! I had stinging up and down my arm like I've NEVER had before. Without wanting to I starting crying like a baby. MAN did it hurt. She kept saying I had to calm down and relax or she couldn't draw the blood. Then, she had to poke me AGAIN and MORE stinging occured. SERIOUSLY. Was this her very first time EVER to draw blood or was she just having a really really bad blood day. So, as I'm sitting there crying and trying to recover she tries to comfort me. This is what I got. "Wow, I feel really bad about that but you just have such skinny arms." WHAT THE??? Yep, this is TOTALLY my fault lady. Me and my arms are to blame for your INABILITY TO DRAW BLOOD! So, I took a few more minutes to calm down and left with big puffy eyes and mascara running down my face. As I was walking thru the waiting room of people I felt like screaming Don't do it! She doesn't know what she's doing!!

14 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh man Tiff, I totally understand what you are saying. There are just some nurses who are totally incompetent. I am so sorry to hear about the cyst. I have had several and I totally know what you are going through. Do they know anything more about the cyst? Are they going to have to pull the Ovary too? I hope that it is just a normal cyst and that things will turn out ok. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Jen West said...

That is
THE worst! I have had the devil attempt to draw my blood, too. No fun. Sorry that happened. Good luck with the surgery. It will be just fine! Love you!

Amy and Micheal said...

That is the worst! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I had that happen to me when I went in to have Kai. Like my blood pressure wasn't already high enough! The worst part was that she kept digging around in my skin hoping to find a vein. So painful! It's awful when you get the very few that don't have a clue what they're doing (or simply don't care). I know there are loads of competent nurses that know how to do it, it's just rotten luck that we sometimes get the sour grape of the bunch. I hope you and your 'skinny arms' are recovering well. :)

Carly Nichols said...

Yikes!! That does not sound like fun! So sorry you had to go through that!

Carly Nichols said...

Hey Tif, we're probably moving to Utah in a few months for Jordan's work. He has an interview for the accounting department for UOP this week. And I was wondering where you guys live in Utah? We really don't know anything about Utah as far as what are family-friendly neighborhoods.
We're trying to find a great neighborhood with a great ward. We're wanting to rent a 3 bedroom apt. or house. If you know anyone would you please let us know. Thank you so much! -Carly :)

Kristin Wilkerson said...

What a crazy lady but as I said once before SKINNY ARMS woo hoo ha ha :)

Jennie said...

i have horrible veins and have to get blood drawn all of the time! it is no fun at all!!

there for awhile i refused to get any blood work done in a dr's office. i insisted that i do it up at the hospital in the iv therapy lab. those ladies KNOW what they are doing!

i am so sorry you had this yucky experience! let's do lunch next week before your surgery! :)

it was so good to see you yesterday! i am sorry i couldn't chat more! :)

Deirdra said...

Poor girl! It is all about the person drawing the blood, I agree. I have people tell me I have great veins and they get it first try. Then there are the ones who blame you for bad veins, skinny arms, whatever. Really, they just do a CRAPPY job. Good luck with surgery, hopefully you will feel like a new woman soon. And hey, post some pics of your house, I'm dying to see it!

Carly Nichols said...

Thanks so much Tif for offering your home but I wouldn't do that to you! You're very sweet! We're thinking anywhere between Salt lake and Provo. Jordan's parents are in American Fork. So we are wanting to be near them. I think Logan is absolutely beautiful but it's too far from Jordan's family. Hopefully we can get together sometime so that our kiddos can play and you and I can visit! Thanks again Tiff! I'll have to get your email someday! I feel bad that I've posted 3 comments in one of your post. :)

Lyman Family said...

There is NOTHING worse than a bad phlebotomist (sp?)!!!! Yikes! I'm so sorry you've been in so much pain--I'm glad they found the problem but sorry you have to have surgery! Maybe all that poking was to make you feel like the surgery was a cake walk?

weloveadoption said...

I sure hope you are feeling better now. That sure doesn't sound like fun with all the stuff you had to go through.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Tiff! What an experience. I'm so glad they figured out what was going on though. I've been thinking about you lately and wondering. Hope you recover soon!

paulak said...

just catching up. holy cow....stupid nurse. so sorry you had to go through all that...as if you haven't already had your fair share. hope you feel better soon.

Kleinmans said...

Oh man! I've never had a nurse that bad. I've had my blood drawn so many times now I could do it in my sleep. Luckily I've never had the devil draw my blood though! Hope you're doing better soon!