Saturday, October 06, 2007

Bittersweet Fruit

So, canning season is officially over for me. I just finished applesauce. Last year was the first year I was actually an avid canner. I had done jam before that, but last year I teamed up with a friend and she initiated me into the world of canning. So, this year I did beans, both green and chili, peaches, pears, soup, and finally applesauce. If you look at the time I'm actually writing this, you'll see it's after midnight. This is one drawback to canning. We always do it when kids are finally asleep (it's just easier that way!) and we usually don't get done til midnight and sometimes later. Also, let's be honest, my kitchen looks like a volcano erupted in it! Every towl, washcloth, and hot pad are wet and sitting on my counter. Every bowl of every size is now in the dishwasher, except of course the ones that won't fit. They, too, are sitting on my counter drying. Every pot that I own was used and is now drying. Sticky goo is all over my floor, seeds are dryed to the counter, and I think I may have to buy a new burner plate!!

But, I have to admit, these are minor drawbacks compared to the delicious fruit and veggies we get to enjoy the whole winter! My favorite is definately a toss up between the peaches and applesauce. I love both and so do Bry and Ty. Peaches were the first to go last year. We'll see what happens this year. A friends of mine asked me why I go thru all the work of canning. Granted, she hates all fruit, but still she thinks it's a waste of time! I was shocked!

But, as I thought more about it, I'm not sure where these innate canning feelings actually came from. My mom was not a canner. (Sorry mom) But, she wasn't! Up until a couple of years ago, I really thought that peaches came in a can... from a store... with a label on it! :) Man have I been missing out! You should really try it out mom! Now, I'm not quite as domestic as my friend Rachel. I was reading her blog the other day and she and her family don't eat cake from a box. Yeah, I'm not quite there yet! I'll stick with my yummy fruit and maybe next year I'll try cakes from scratch!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Cool Blog! Where did you find the background paper? And I don't think you can say you are less of a homemaker then me. After all, while I'll only make cakes from scratch, I have NEVER canned in my life. I do want to though. Rob's family is way into it. Maybe one day when we have the money, space, time, etc. for all it takes. There's nothing better then home canned food if you can't have fresh!

Emily said...

It is definately worth all that work! I love bottled fresh fruit- My mom canned all my life and every year I say I am going too- but it scares me- it seems hard?... I am so pruod of you and wish I were there to have you teach me!

Jennie said...

i made applesauce a few years back... but other than that i have never canned. i would love to learn sometime...

i do think that it is alot of work, but i think it would be fun too!

my mom, with all of her talents, never canned when i was growing up either!

i guess it is time that i just do it myself... lol!